Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Day 22 - Mrs. Ikeda's Support

When President Ikeda was inaugurated as the president of the Soka Gakkai:

"May 3rd 1960. This is the day that I will never forget in my life. My husband was appointed as the president of the Soka Gakkai. I thought to myself; as of today, our normal family life will end. From tomorrow, my husband will start working for everyone as a public figure. This is my husband’s mission and a role that only he can play. That is why I will do my best so that my husband can carry out his work wholeheartedly. I decided, ‘I am going to endure any stormy winds.’

"It was in the summer of 1969. My husband poured his entire energy in raising talented individuals through a summer lecture in which 100,000 people attended. In the winter of the same year, while he was traveling to Kansai and Chubu areas to encourage the members, his cold was aggravated due to accumulated fatigue and he ravaged pneumonia."

"I rushed from Tokyo to Osaka where my husband was suffering a high fever of 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). Although the doctor advised him to take a “complete rest,” my husband continued to travel to Wakayama, Nara and Mie prefectures saying, “several tens of thousands of friends are waiting for me.” I was desperate as well."

"Ever since then, the doctor strongly urged me to accompany my husband in his travels. Regarding his travels abroad, ever since he became sick during his trip to the US, the leaders requested me to start accompany him, which I did from the fall of 1964 when he visited South East Asia, Middle East and Europe."

Excerpts from the Book “On Kaneko” (Kaneko-sho) (Tentative translation)

No comments: