Monday, December 17, 2007

Day 16 - Fostering Capable Successors


On August 14, 1947, 60 years ago, I met Mr. Toda for the first time. He was 47 and I was 19. I still vividly remember that encounter even today. For more than 10 years after that, Mr. Toda rigorously trained and educated me. He staked the fate our our kosen-rufu movement on me, a youth 28 years his junior. He entrusted our entire furture to me. He placed me at the center of the young people of the Soka Gakkai, thereby tapping the power of the youth through allowing them to give full play to their potential. And that is why the Soka Gakkai has been able to grow into the organization it has today.

The choice of future leaders is vitally important. A mistake can have the direst consequences, and cause untold suffering to everyone. One of the most crucial duties of those holding leadership positions is to select and foster capable successors.

The commitment to Buddhism and kosen-rufu that Mr. Toda and I shared as mentor and disciple is what has led to the appearance of growing numbers of Bodhisattvas of the Earth.

And the driving force behind that tremendous growth was Mr. Toda's absolute belief in the importance of youth and his spirit to value them. Leaders must never scold young people out of emotion or treat them in a domineering or condescending manner. Of course, young people require training, but I hope you will foster the youth with the hearfelt prayer that they will develop their potential and go on to make positive contribution to the Soka Gakkai, their communities, and peace in Japan and throughout the world. We need to show them we care and warmly encourage them I'd like to reaffirm the importance of this approach today. Do I have your agreement on this point? [Affirmative applause].

And always remember that no matter how old you are, it is important to remain young at heart. When Mr. Makiguchi was over 70 years old he still used to say: "We young people," reflecting the spirit that the hearts of those who practice the Daishonin's Buddhism are eternally young. I hope all our members will advance with youthful hearts."

(Translated from the October 17, 2007, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, the Soka Gakkai daily newspaper)

No comments: